Free Consultation * No Fee Unless Successful * Stay Home & Safe: We Do Video Consults
The Dangers of Gastric Sleeve and Gastric Bypass Weight Loss Surgery
The most common weight loss surgeries today are gastric sleeve and gastric bypass surgery. The people selling these surgeries often make them sound safe, and they minimize the risks.
But what actually happens during the surgeries is very serious and can be extremely dangerous. Gastric sleeve surgery involves amputating most of the stomach. Gastric bypass surgery means rerouting the entire digestive system.
1 out of 350 patients who have weight loss surgery die due to to complications from bariatric surgery: an extremely high and unacceptable rate. The rate for those who suffer serious injury due to malpractice during bariatric surgery is much higher. When surgeries that are this dangerous aren't done right, terrible injuries are the result.
Medical Malpractice in Gastric Sleeve and Gastric Bypass Weight Loss Surgery
Doctors have set up surgery “mills” where patients have gastric sleeve or gastric bypass surgery done in an assembly-line fashion. Doctors trained as family doctors or cardiologists are advertising as bariatric surgery specialists after a weekend training course.
The results are inevitable: People are getting badly hurt, and some of them are dying – all because of a rush to make a profit from popular weight loss surgeries.
Examples of Gastric Sleeve and Gastric Bypass Surgery Malpractice
Our team has seen many of these cases. The most common medical errors during gastric sleeve bariatric surgery include:
- Unqualified doctors performing gastric sleeve surgeries with little or no training
- Medical malpractice during bariatric surgery by cutting or clipping the wrong body part.
- Malpractice during gastric sleeve surgery making the "sleeve" too small, so that the patient cannot swallow and is constantly vomiting
- Malpractice in failure to diagnose and treat gastric bleeding
- Malpractice in causing or failing to diagnose pulmonary embolism--a blood clot
- Medical malpractice resulting in leaking gastric fluid
- Medical malpractice in performing unnecessary surgery
- Malpractice in performing surgery on patients at high risk for fatal complications
- Medical malpractice in failing failure to monitor patients properly after surgery
After gastric sleeve or gastric bypass surgery has been done, patients are at risk for severe complications due to inability to consume or process food. Post operative malpractice gastric sleeve and gastric bypass cases include:
- Failure to recognize nutrition deficiencies leading to severe malnutrition and Wernicke's Encephalopathy--a potentially fatal brain disease
- Failure to recognize and treat a stricture (narrowing) in the connection to the stomach making eating painful or impossible
We Can Help.
When you put your health and life in the hands of your doctor, you expect that your trust won’t be abused – and you have a right to expect it.
At Polewski & Associates, we understand the science and risks of gastric sleeve and gastric bypass surgery. We have handled these cases, and are in contact with top medical and gastric sleeve surgery experts. With top qualifications and top client reviews, you can be sure that when you choose Polewski & Associates, you are making the right choice for your case and your family. Please contact us today to schedule your free initial consultation on your weight loss surgery malpractice case.
Contact Us Right Now.
Please don’t wait another day: there are laws that prevent you from suing even the worst surgeon if you wait too long. And every day you wait is another day that key evidence in your case could be lost, or another patient could have the same thing happen to them.
The time to start making things better is now. There is no reason to wait. Please call 972-223-1810 today.